Oh hey there! It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted a new recipe up on here. Now that we’re into the fall and soon-to-be winter months (ugh), I’ll be posting many more recipes again, because lets face it – recipe development is a winter sport.
If you live in Canada you’ll totally get this. All winter long we hibernate, then summer comes and we spend every second we can outside – unless you’re crazy and into winter sports. Just kidding, that would make my winter way more exciting but just isn’t for me.
A lot has been going on lately in the Going Grainless world aka my world. I moved out of Toronto for a few months and back to the small town I grew up in, but we will heading back to the city for November. I’ve started taking evening classes in holistic nutrition and the GFGF podcast has been gaining quite the buzz!
All these changes is another reason why I haven’t been posting many new recipes, but I promise I’m back on track and ready to create because let’s face it – it’s my favourite thing to do. Getting creative in the kitchen is just too fun and really, who doesn’t love eating delicious, yet healthy food!
Ok now to the recipe: Grainless Quiche!
I’m a big egg person, whether is be in buddha bowls, omelettes, frittatas, egg salad, etc. – I love it all! Quiche is something that always reminds me of my mom because I grew up with her making it often and I just find it so comforting.
These days, we’ve stepped away from the classic boxed bisquik crust and go for grainless version that really isn’t much more work (plus is just way better for you).
Keep in mind this recipe makes 2 large deep dish quiches. I like making a lot at a time because it freezes well to grab when needed on-the-go.
Also note, with this recipe you can add essentially any meats and vegetables you’d like. This recipe can easily be made paleo, dairy free and vegetarian! Get creative with your fave toppings!
Grainless Ham & Broccoli Quiche Recipe:
Makes: 2 large pies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg
- 2/3 butter, ghee or coconut oil (softened – not liquid)
- 1 tbsp water (add 1 – 2 more if needed)
- 1/2 head broccoli, steamed & chopped fine
- 1 cup ham or bacon, cooked & chopped fine
- 1 onion, chopped and cooked
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cheese for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease pie plates.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all crust ingredients. Work through it with a pastry tool or hands once it becomes too difficult to mix with a spoon.
- On a pasty sheet or flat surface, lay down a piece of parchment paper.
- Split dough in half and roll crust out. Lift parchment paper and transfer the rolled out crust to greased pie plate. Carefully flip the parchment paper over to set the crust into the plate. Repeat with the other half of the dough in a second pie plate.
- Place broccoli, ham and onion at the bottom of each crusted pie plate.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl combine eggs, almond milk, salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Pour in pie plates to full each 3/4 full (make sure there is some space for the egg to rise.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Note the crust edges do get quite brown so it’s best to cover the edges with either a crust cover or tin foil to prevent burning.