The sun is shining and the weather is FINALLY getting nice(ish) – it’s only taken 7 months! As much as I love wintery comfort foods, it’s exciting to start thinking about fresh summer recipes. Pasta is aways a good option but can be quite heavy with many grains.
This Lemon Garlic Primavera is the perfect meal when you’re looking for a light option as we get into those hot summer days. I don’t know about you, but I don’t feel as hungry on those scorching days. If you’re looking for more protein, grilled chicken and shrimp make a great option!
This recipe is gluten free, paleo, nut free, vegetarian. It can also be made vegan if you omit the feta.
Grainless Lemon Garlic Primavera Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 asparagus stalks, sliced
- 20-25 snap peas
- ½ cup canned peas
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 ½ fresh lemons, squeezed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup feta
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scape out the seeds with a spoon. Lightly brush inside and outside of the squash with olive oil. Place on baking sheet so the cut side is facing down.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In the meantime, place a large skillet on the stove top on medium heat. Add remaining olive oil, onion and garlic sauté for 5-7 minutes until the onions become transparent.
- Add in snap peas, canned peas, spinach, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Using a fork, scrape the squash flesh to create long strands. Add squash into the skillet. Mix well. Crumble in feta and serve.
* Easily add chicken, shrimp or tofu into this dish as well!