These grainless Sugar Cookie Squares with Cream Cheese Frosting are a perfect treat for any Christmas party! The best part is they’re gluten free, dairy free and vegan! It’s the first snowy Sunday of the season here in Toronto and it’s put me in the mood to spend the full day in the kitchen – I’ll definitely be sharing some new recipes with you this week!
Grainless Sugar Cookie Squares with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Makes: 12- 16 squares
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Sugar Cookie Base Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 2 cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cup cane sugar **
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch **
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese * or regular cream cheese
- Crushed candy canes (optional)
* I typically use Tofutti or Daiya brand cream cheese
** Or replace with 1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease a 8″x8″ baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl combine butter and maple syru
- In another mixing bowl combine flours and salt.
- Slowly pour liquid bowl into dry bowl. Mixing well until thick dough is formed. (If dough isn’t thick enough add a little more arrowroot flour.)
- Press dough evenly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges begin to turn golden.
- While the base is baking make the icing – In a blender or food processor combine cane sugar and tapioca starch. Pulse for about 1 minute until the sugar becomes fine like powdered sugar. Add in vanilla, butter and cream cheese. Blend until smooth. If the icing needs to be thicker add in more of the cane sugar and tapioca powdered sugar mixture.
- Let base fully cool before icing, then top with crushed candy cane pieces.